Wednesday, March 22, 2006


1 What immigration documents are essential for me to have while studying in
2 Which immigration documents can I apply for from within Canada?
3 What is a “TRV” and where do you apply for this?
4 Can I work in Canada as a visa student?
5 Can I work in Canada after completing my studies?
6 Can I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
7 Do I have to file a Canadian Tax return?
8 Do I need to have a SIN to file my tax return?
9 Can I drive in Ontario?
10 Can my parents/family join me while I am studying?

1 You are required to have a valid study permit throughout your period of study at
University. Be sure to apply for your extension at least 3 months prior to the
expiry date of your current study permit.

2 You can apply for your study permit extension, a work permit/authorization for
yourself (if your program is Co-op, or requires work experience as part of the
degree requirement) or your accompanying spouse/common law or same sex
partner from within Canada through the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville,

3 A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is a travel document required by citizens from
certain countries (listed on to enter Canada. Your original TRV
would have been obtained from your home country Canadian Embassy/Mission or
the one closest to you. You only need this type of visa for entering Canada. If you
are not traveling out of Canada during your stay here, you will not need to apply
for a renewal. (Note: you may travel to the U.S. and re-enter Canada even if your
TRV has expired). If you are leaving Canada for any other world destination you
will need to renew your TRV and this may be done through the Buffalo office or
the Canadian Embassy/Mission in your destination country. Be sure to have your
valid study permit along with your passport and TRV for re-entry into Canada.

4 As a student enrolled in full time studies, you are currently allowed to work only
on campus. You do not require a work permit, but will need to get a SIN. Your
earnings will be subject to Canadian taxes.

5 Upon completion of your degree at university, you qualify to apply for a “one
time” post-graduation work permit to gain Canadian work experience. Students who have studied in Toronto will be granted a maximum of a one- year work
permit. You must have an offer of a job in your field of study to submit with your

6 You can apply for a Social Insurance Number from Human Resources and Skills
Development Canada, only if you will be earning income in Canada. You may
receive scholarship/fellowship/bursary income without a SIN, but if you are
working as a TA/RA/GA or any other on-campus job, you will need to apply for a

7 You are required to file a tax return once you have received income (from
scholarships or earned) in Canada. You may choose to file a return even if you
have not received income in Canada if you wish to register your education and
tuition tax credits for future potential earnings, or if you wish to apply for the
GST rebate and certain other tax credits for which you may qualify.

8 You do not need to have a SIN in order to file a tax return. You must however
notify Revenue Canada of this situation by including a note with your tax return
informing them that you are an international student who has not yet worked in
Canada and therefore do not have a SIN. They will process your return and
assign you a Temporary Taxation Number (this is not a SIN number) which you
may continue to use for future years’ filing. If you do get a SIN because you have
started working you need to notify CRA so that they can put your SIN number on

9 If you wish to drive in Ontario, you will need to obtain a Driver’s License. If you
have an international driver’s license you may use this during your first 60 days,
after which an Ontario license will be required. Holders of a valid US driver’s
license or countries with a reciprocity license agreement with Canada (e.g. Japan,
Korea, Austria, Germany, Switzerland) may exchange their license for a full
Ontario license at a Ministry of Transport office.

10 You may invite your family/parents to join/visit you while you are in Canada as a
student. You will need to send them a letter of invitation and a copy of your study
permit to take to the Canadian embassy in your home where they can then apply
for their entry visas. They will need to provide proof of financial support for the
period of their stay in Canada.


Post a Comment

<< Home